Sunday, September 16, 2007

{S} = Sewing onto Paper

I love sewing into paper. Its so easy and fun!!

You can hand sew or machine sew. If you want to try it by hand just lightly pencil in the area that you want to sew, prick holes with a needle a certain distance apart and then sew. Backstitch is easiest although you can go for the messy look and miss stitches here and there.

Preparing in advance is the key for hand sewing.

Machine sewing onto paper is my favourite though........its much the same as sewing with fabric. Make sure you keep a needle just for sewing with paper. Don't try and use it with fabric because it probably won't be as sharp and work so well with the two mediums, so keep the paper one separate.

Always ensure your bobbin has enough thread to finish the job. If your bobbin runs out of thread half way through and you carry on sewing not realising, you will then have empty holes that you will have to try and re-stitch over. Easier said than done.

I know when sewing with fabric at the end you double stitch over and over to ensure it doesn't unravel, well don't do this with paper - it will look messy! Just finish the stitching, turn to the wrong side and pull the end of the thread through, tie into a knot and then I always cover the knot with sellotape just to make sure it doesn't come undone. Obviously you want to sew where the reverse isn't going to be seen, although if it is just ensure a neater finish.

Ideas:
- you can sew together different pieces of cardstock/paper to create a mosaic effect.

- its a good way to attach another layer - gives an extra dimension and makes it more secure

- stitch around lettering

- a good way to secure vellum as glue will show through

- attach a pocket to hold journalling

- straight stitch or zigzag for effect

You can do so much with stitches on paper. You can do a perfectly straight line - always a good idea to lightly draw a line with pencil first though unless you are mega sure of your sewing skills! Or go for a deliberately wobbly line - this is one of my favourites as it doesn't matter how wobbly you go as its obvious it was meant that way!

I sew onto paper so much now that to me a project doesn't look finished until I have sewn, even if its just around the edge to create a frame. Give it a go - once you start there is no going back though!! My sewing machine lives permanently under my desk now so I have easy access just to lift it up onto my desk ready for the next project!

2 comments:

Di said...

Great sewing tips there Caroline....fab stuff!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips Caroline. Your sewn artwork is fab - I have some of it, so I know what I'm talking about!
x