Sunday, May 27, 2007

{K} for Knitting

Knitting used to be thought of as a more mature ladies pastime, but more recently Knitting has become big business with younger people too. The availability of many fab new yarns has given a lot of crafters the urge to make something and so the needles have come out.

Regardless of fashion I have knitted for years, I have knitted cardigans, jumpers, baby clothes and the classic scarf. Nowadays a scarf is what I turn my knitting hand to most of the time. So quick and easy and so fashionable too - my daughter is a great fan of my scarves to the point where her friends are asking me to knit them one too! (I have to graciously decline - I don't have so much spare time these days)!





Scarves need not be just about knitting a long length. You can add pom poms, ribbon, buttons, beeds, ooooh just about anything that can stand a wash! A couple of years ago I knitted family and friends a scarf each for Christmas. They were gorgeous chenille scarves with ribbon threaded through and as the wool is chunky they were quite quick to make.

To make a really quick scarf, you can use bigger needles. I have some mega chunky 15mm needles that will produce a really loose knit and you can, of course use any type of yarn. Chunky needles aren't just for chunky wool!




I fancy trying my hand at knitting a mobile phone cover. How easy would that be?! The width needs to be just slightly wider than the phone itself and the length would be 2.5 times the size of the phone. You then have a little flap which can be velcroed down or use a button! Funky.......

So get those needles out! I know its Summer (although the weather would have you think otherwise at the moment) but if you start now, you can have your Christmas pressies done and dusted so that you can enjoy December instead of panicing.......or is that just me........?!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Knitting has become quite fashionable recently. My nan (miss you, still love you!) taught me to knit when I was little. It's a skill that you don't forget. I used to knit loads, including baby clothes for the little ones. Tend not to these days now though. But, saying that I did knit my friend a scarf for her birthday in February this year (started and finished in one night too - big needles, don't ya know!)

Kaz said...

My nan and mum taught me when I was a child, but I wasn't that good. I love the idea of a chunky scarf with embellishments on.